Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Reflections of a Coach

Reflections of a Coach
by: Beth Hayes

Beth Hayes collaborates with Tammy Krotz and Kate Turner at a recent meeting.

After spending a semester as an Instructional Coach for Student Support Services, I wanted to share my educational background, and journey in my new role as part of the Teacher Leadership Program at Linn-Mar Community Schools. 

currently hold a Masters in Special Education and 4 endorsementsStrategist I, Strategist II, reading, early childhood, and consulting.  My classroom experience includes teaching students in Levels 1, 2, and 3. I recently left my Level 2 classroom of five years at Bowman Woods ElementaryI chose to take on this position is to assist teachers from burning out. Special Education can be overwhelming with paperwork and instructional materials, designing for every student in every subject. Plus, understanding behaviors and strategies to implement to prevent and react to behaviors. Managing adults in the classroom and accommodations in place! Nothing is consistently the same from year to year. So many pieces go into teaching in the Special Education world. My goal is always to assist teachers in a variety of ways to enable them to relieve stress and create a better “system” to the “madness”. 

Beth Hayes, SS Instructional Coach, models a math lesson for a Student Support Services Teacher.
Throughout first semester I spent time assisting teachers in learning about and implementing new instructional materials to better fit the needs of their diverse learners. I assisted teachers in creating schedules, work systems, and developed work tasks. I modeled lessons to provide teachers a visual aid for implementing new instruction or revamping the “boring” curriculum they are using. I have conducted professional developments for teachers and associates around behavior, accessible instructional materials, and alternate assessment. I am the coordinator of our district alternate assessment. I’m currently assisting with refining our writing instruction, assessment, and goals for all grade levels. I just finished my challenge of getting 30 teachers out of their classrooms to observe their peers to provide visual professional development.  

Through my cognitive coaching training,  I found I don’t need to know and have experienced everything to be able to coach teachers. We have the ideas within us! Through coaching we are able to bounce our ideas off each other and come to a point where we can move forward with clarity. As everyone knows some problems are more difficult to resolve. I will be the first to let you know that I don't know something and will go research the answer for you. Teaching is not about knowing and becoming skilled at the research-based “rules” that good teachers follow; rather, it is about revealing the “exceptions”- understanding the individual child they are working with and discovering what he or she needs to learn.” (Pete Hall) Every student is different and it can be a struggle to individualize every year with every student. I have observed every student support classroom in our district. I look forward to assisting you with ideas or putting you in touch with another teacher to collaborate and grow. 

I leave you with this closing quote.  I like this because it reminds us that it is okay to ask others for help, or a second set of eyes.  As a team we can provide each other with such value.  “The most valuable resource that all teachers have is each other without collaboration our growth is limited to our own perspectives.” – Robert John Meehan  

Contact Beth Hayes @ bhayes@linnmar.k12.ia.us  or 319-892-4870

No comments:

Post a Comment